EcoBairro São Paulo
The Ecobairro (E Neighborhood) in São Paulo (Brazil) is an initiative in the neighborhood of Vila Mariana. There is a strong commitment with 2030 Agenda from 2015 and the SDGs. The aim of the project is the transition to a local, circular and participatory governance in which community members are encouraged to act responsibly.
Extension: 26,5 km²
Density: 13.000 inhabitants per km²
The EcoBairro Permanent Program is an initiative born from the Instituto Roerich da Paz e Cultura do Brasil (SSA) together with the Associação Urusvati Mantenedora – Casa Urusvati (SP), and that received support from the United Nations (2005).
With the focus on sustainability that penetrates the everyday life, Ecobairro adopts the proposed 8 nuclei of sustainability for city of the future: Education, Economy, Spirituality, Health, Communication, Politics, Culture and Ecology.
The DNA of Ecobairro proposes balanced systemic actions in all the areas such that sustainability emerges as a result of those actions.
Ecobairro proposes to support residents of the neighborhood to adopt sustainability practices inside and outside their houses, using the following methodologies:
- Identify different social actors in the neighborhood, stimulating their cooperation and sustainable practice;
- Identify, together with the community, measures to help foster sustainability practices, managing their implementation;
- Establish partnerships;
- Make the experiences public, to foster inspiration for other potential experiences;
- Time and collective agendas
- Public Power Engagement
- Include Business and companies as well as Universities
The aim for the future is to replicate the experiment in 32 municipalities.
KEY ACTIVITIES SO FAR...
Pilot’s Core Team:
Isabela Maria Gomez de Menezes (Transition Brazil)
Maria Helena Solzi Godoy
Victor Leon Ades